Kitchen Scales are one of the most underrated appliances that you can use in your kitchen. Although their functionality can be easily grasped, no one has been quite ready to adopt it into their daily lives until now. This trend is slowly changing in India for the better as people are becoming more aware of its various uses.
With all the advancement you can now find digital kitchen scale easily in the market. We will help you find out the best kitchen weighing scale India. This article has been written keeping in mind the average consumer who has started to see the usefulness a kitchen scale can provide and wants to buy one. It contains all the important aspects one should consider and a recommendation of top kitchen scales that you should be looking at.
This article has all the needed information like the importance of Kitchen scale, it’s working, types and buyers guide. lastly, we have also mentioned our top 6 Recommended productsand FAQ.
Top 6 Kitchen Scale
ProductAverage User RatingPrice RangeBest Price HealthSense Chef Mate KS All Round Product 4.4/5 ZAAP Eatsmart Kitchen Weighing scale Product with Best Features 4.0/5 SilverCrest Electronic Kitchen Scale Most Unique Design 4.4/5 Hesley HSK Digital Kitchen Scale Highly Durable Product 4.1/5 Sansui Flat Panel Kitchen Scale Highest Weight Capacity 3.8/5 MCP Digital Kitchen Scale Cheapest Product 3.3/5
Importance Of Kitchen Scales
There are 4 main factors that advocate why you would need a kitchen scale in your home. All of them are presented below.
- Some of the biggest chefs in the world agree that cooking is more science than art and as we all know, anything that deals with science requires accurate measurement. Kitchen scales come a long way in ensuring that you are adding the right amount of ingredients while baking your favorite dishes.
- Kitchen scales are also becoming very popular among people who are trying to watch out for their health and eating habits. As anyone who has experience managing their weight would know, the most important factor to consider would be portion size, and that can only be controlled by measurement.
- Imagine you are looking at a recipe in a cookbook and all the measurements are in grams and cups. Since you don’t have a kitchen scale, you decide to use cup measurement. If it is a lengthy dish, you would need a very large set of measuring cups and all those would need to be cleaned after use. However, if you have a kitchen scale, you can use only one cup and measure accordingly, then add it to the dish. This would also prevent the cleaning process after cooking.
- Sometimes the recipes are given in grams and sometimes in pounds, depending on the author’s country. By using kitchen scales, you can easily convert pounds to grams and vice versa. So the level of convenience offered is unmatched by any other kitchen measuring instrument.
How Do Kitchen Scales Work?
Although Kitchen Scales are available in both analog and digital versions, the former is being seldom sold these days. Hence it becomes impractical to discuss the mechanism of analog kitchen scales. Therefore, the next few paragraphs will contain the working principle of digital kitchen scales.
When you first saw a digital scale, surely you must have wondered how a measuring scale can display information in digits instead of pointing to a value. This is due to the fundamental difference in the parts that absorb the load applied. In an analog setup, a spring absorbs the load while in a digital one a load cell takes it on. The key components involved in a kitchen scale are the strain gauge and the load cell. As the name indicates, the strain gauge is used to measure to a strain that the scale is feeling due to the placement of an object and the load cell converts the force exerted into an electric signal that can be processed by the machine.
The first order of business after a load is placed on the scale is to ensure the weight of the object is evenly distributed across the surface of the scale. This helps in reducing inaccuracy on the scales part and makes it easier for the strain gauge to process the load. This process is usually done by small pegs on each corner of the scale. Once the complete load has been evenly distributed, the total force is subjected to one corner of the scale surface where the load cell is present and as a result, downward bending occurs in the load cell.
The strain gauge is made specifically to absorb the load, and this is done by strips of thin metal or foil, attached to a printed circuit board which deforms under even small applications of force. This is indicated in the following image
As we already know, the load cell bends downwards under pressure, and since it conducts a charge, there is a change in resistance too when it moves. This change gives out an electric signal which is in analog format. It is then changed to a digital one using a special converter. A microchip present just below the display translates the digital information into a format that humans can understand, and this data appears on the display.
Types Of Kitchen Scaled
Digital scales are by far the most popular kitchen scales out there. This is mainly due to the simplicity that they offer and the accuracy that they provide for the price being paid. There was a time when digital scales were quite expensive, but that has all changed now, and anyone can own one without burning a hole in their pocket. They are characterized by a wide surface for the load and an LCD display to convey the information to the user. They are available across many price ranges but as the price increases, so does the features
Hanging scales are one of the oldest types of kitchen scales. They were mainly used by butchers in the olden days but still find some applications in the modern world. Hanging scales have an edge over others due to the smaller size and easier portability that they offer. They are usually hung on the ceiling of large industrial size kitchens. This means they are the go-to scales if you want to measure some food item that is quite heavy in nature. They are available in both analog and digital variants, but both have the same work mechanism. They usually have a hook attached to them over which the load is placed.
Dial scales are nothing but the most common type of analog scales that are in use today. They are called so because the weight indicator is in the shape of a dial. A pointer is also present on top which points to the correct value on the dial. Kitchen dial scales were very popular until recently but got almost wiped out by the digital scales. Some of the criticism of dial scales is that the measuring surface won’t be too big and accuracy isn’t that high when compared to other types.
Mechanical scales are perhaps the oldest type of kitchen scales still in use. Although they are quite unpopular these days, they will come in handy for certain types of operations. They work on a spring action, and whenever a spring moves, a dial is rotated to indicate the weight. Hence, they are also called spring scales by certain sections. You would most probably find them in grocery stores as accuracy isn’t very necessary and small quantities are usually not measured in those circumstances. They also need no batteries to be operated and are a one-time investment.
Metric System Scales
Scales that can convert metric units to imperial units or vice versa are known as metric system scales. Sometimes they give out readings according to both metric and imperial system. Some big countries like the US use the imperial system, and once they go out of their country, it would become difficult to understand the new units. It can also be that you are looking at a recipe written by an author in the metric system and want to convert it into units that you understand. This is when metric scales come to use. Almost all modern kitchen scales have this feature and hence can be called metric scales.
Large Capacity Scales
As the name indicates, any scale that is designed to measure huge quantities of food or ingredients is known as large capacity scales. These are highly used in mega kitchens where food needs to be prepared for hundreds, if not thousands of people. They come in both analog and digital variants, but accuracy to the decimal places is not very practical when you need to measure such huge quantities. They are also quite bulky and have a huge platform where the food items which need to be weighed are kept.
Platform Size is the main factor that you should be looking at while buying a kitchen scale. You should always prefer one that is as big as possible. This is because even if the size is larger than expected, it won’t cause any problems but if it is smaller than the ingredients you want to weigh, there won’t be enough place to measure it accurately. It is well known these days that digital scales have bigger platform sizes than their analog counterparts. This is because, in analog types, the spring needs to be placed just below the space where the object will be kept, and the spring cannot occupy the full surface of the device. There will be no such problems for digital scales.
Type is the second most important category to look at and ensure your kitchen scale can serve you well. For most operations inside an average household kitchen, digital scales will suffice. They will have the required platform Size, sleek and elegant look and easy to understand display. However, if you are looking for something that can withstand a lot of loads, then you are better off buying a hanging scale or a large capacity scale. If you own a grocery store and want one to weigh the stuff bought by customers, you should go for the mechanical scales.
Capacity and Precision
Capacity is nothing but the maximum amount of weight that a kitchen scale can measure without returning errors. Most household kitchen scales have a maximum capacity of 5KG and some at the higher spectrum of the price range goes up to 15KG. There is usually a trade-off between capacity and precision. If you want to a buy one with a very high capacity, you will have to sacrifice accuracy of the measurements, but if you want one with very good precision, you won’t get very high capacity. If you still want higher capacity kitchen scales, hanging and large capacity types are the ones to go with.
Functions of the kitchen scale you buy will decide all the possible activities that you will do with it. As the price increases, more will be the number of features that a kitchen scale will possess. However, not all of them are absolutely necessary. The ones that are must have are the tare function and the metric to imperial system converter. Tare function allows you to reset the scale to 0 after the container in which it is being measured is accounted for and not taken into consideration and as we already know the converter can be quite useful as you won’t need a calculator every time you look at a recipe.
Unit is nothing but the system through which you will get to know the value of the measurement. There are currently two major unit systems in the world; they are a metric system and the imperial system. Since there is no universal system, it is better to get a kitchen scale which can show data according to both or easily convert one to another. Most kitchen scales do have this as a basic feature these days
The screen is the place where the final reading is displayed. In an analog setup, it is displayed on a dial while on a digital setup, it is shown on an LCD display. Needless to say, an LCD display is better to view, visible in the dark and is easy to read. LCD screens also occupy very less space and hence the platform size will be bigger. So, if you have the choice, always prefer a kitchen scale with LCD display.
Durability refers to the amount of damage a kitchen scale can withstand when subjected to it. Durability varies from brand to brand and also across price ranges. Usually, digital kitchen scales are a lot less durable than analog ones.
The kitchen is an area where water is prevalent. It is also an area where electronic appliances are used the most. Hence it becomes very necessary that the kitchen scales you use are water resistant so that they do not get damaged easily.
As we already know Digital kitchen scales are the most used types and all of them are operated by a battery. Some come with a built-in battery, others need to be charged, while in some others, we need to install and replace the batteries from time to time. This creates a dilemma for the user. However, experts agree that you should buy one with replaceable batteries as the time between replacements is quite good, and you will never run out of battery even if you don’t charge it.
If you are a person who likes to cook a lot of liquid-based things, or if you are very conscious about your liquid intake, buy a kitchen scale which has an option to measure liquids. This feature is quite rare to find, so you need to look out for it while buying.
Lowest Measurable Value
Again, this is a feature many don’t pay attention to but can be of great use for a select few. If you are cooking for one person, sometimes the number of ingredients will be so less than some scales won’t even be able to measure it. This leads to error in portion sizes as well as changes in taste. Most kitchen scales have a threshold of 1-5 grams below which they won’t be able to measure, so be aware of this while buying.
1. HealthSense Chef Mate KS – All Round Product
HealthSense is a company that prides itself on being the pioneer in developing kitchen scales for the masses in India. The company was formulated in 2014 by seeing the growing fitness revolution in the country and the need for a high-quality as well as cheap kitchen scale to perfectly measure their food intake. They go by the motto that “nothing should be more precious than health” and as we all know, proper food intake is the base of obtaining good health.
The product we are looking at here is the highest selling kitchen scale in India and has obtained rave reviews from consumers across the country. The main reason for the immense popularity is the superb design, class-leading specifications, and unique features. All these special aspects of this particular kitchen scale will be discussed in the following few sub-headings and points. Main Features
- The company is providing a high-quality food-grade measuring bowl along with the machine so that you can place your ingredients to be measured inside it
- You can measure in many types of units like milliliters, pounds, grams, and ounces according to your convenience. It also has the option to convert from one unit to another
- It is a cell battery operated kitchen scale, and the company itself provides you AAA type batteries which may last you up to 2 years.
- It comes with a low battery indicator in the form of a light which blinks with the letters “LO”. You will have to replace the batteries if such light is being shown
- The maximum weight it can measure is 5000 grams or 5KG. After this limit is breached, it indicates an overload
- It has the necessary TARE function to measure ingredients in a bowl without taking bowl weight into account
- It also has a G-Force sensor to improve the accuracy of the measurements
- The display is 66*29 mm in measurement and has a blue backlight to make it readable even in sunlight or darkness.
- It also has an auto-off feature to switch off the scale after 120 seconds of inactivity.
PROS (What we liked)
- Superb design and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.
- G-Force sensor provides more accurate measurements
- Comes with a 1-year standard warranty
- The display is sufficiently big and blue background makes it viable even in sunlight and darkness
- The maximum capacity of 5 kg is sufficient for everyday use
- It is a very value-for-money offering
- It has a fluid-measurement feature too and can measure and convert a large number of units
- The company itself provides a good quality measuring bowl
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- Platform size is a bit small
- Li-Ion battery type would have been a better option
- It doesn’t have any waterproof or dustproof rating
2. ZAAP Eatsmart Kitchen Weighing scale – Product with Best Features
ZAAP is a company that calls itself a brand made for modern millennial. It was started in 2015 and is a very versatile company that produces a range of products like mobile covers, selfie sticks, automobile accessories, speakers, power banks and health products. It is safe to say that it is the most varied brand on this list. It is a company that has taken the e-commerce route and sells its products only online.
However, what we are here to discuss is a kitchen scale that falls under the health products category. It is a very highly rated product and has a design that tries to define the modern millennial. It is also one of the higher priced products in this list. Does it provide the value required for the price you are paying? Read the next section to get an answer for that question. Main Features
- It is very compact as it measures just 20*20*5 cm in length breadth and width
- The display is not an LCD one like in most other kitchen scales. It is even better as it uses LED technology and is quite big
- It is IPX7 Rated which means it is waterproof up to 1 Meter for 30 minutes. This feature is seldom found in other kitchen scales
- Along with the TARE function, you can also add different ingredients together and measure them separately
- It uses the aquatronic feature to measure fluids kept in containers
- It can measure in both imperial and metric systems and inter-convert them whenever needed
- It doesn’t have normal buttons and can be controlled by touch inputs like in smartphones
- It has 4 special and separate sensors to make very accurate measurements
- The minimum weight it can detect is 0.05 ounce, and the maximum is 12 ounce
PROS (What we liked)
- It has a very pleasant and compact design but also doesn’t compromise with the platform size
- 4 separate sensors for accuracy is unprecedented in the kitchen scale industry
- It is the only product on this list that is IP certified for both Water and dust resistance
- The maximum weight Measurable is quite high at 5.75 KG
- Touch functions to operate is also seldom found in other kitchen scales
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- The company does not provide any separate accessories along with the kitchen scales
- Company isn’t well known in India
3. SilverCrest Electronic Kitchen Scale – Most Unique Design
SilverCrest is a company that is a subsidiary of the larger Lidl group based out of Germany. It is also one of the older companies in this list, tracing its beginnings to the 1930s. Today, it is one of the biggest kitchen accessories companies in Germany. Some of its famous products are juicers, mixers, dicing machines, flasks, ovens, etc.
The kitchen scale that we are discussing here is also made in Germany. So there is no doubt about the quality of the product. It also has a very unique looking design aspect to it as it is round in nature. It’s other note-worthy features have been given below. Main Features
- The scale is made of high-quality materials and has a special surface finish that also includes some stainless steel making it highly durable for daily tasks
- This also has an aquatronic feature that allows consumers to measure any liquid quantity
- It also has a wide LCD display that can display all the information that you would want
- It has the basic TARE function along with a low power consumption mode
- Mode button has been provided to switch between volume and weight
- Can measure in grams, ounces, and milliliters
- The minimum weight it can measure is 1 gram
- The maximum error rate is + or – 1 gram
- It has automatic on/off feature
PROS (What we liked)
- It is one of the most durable products on this list as it is made of stainless steel
- Very unique design that will appeal to a lot of people
- Good minimum weight measurement as it can even measure 0.035 ounces
- Low power consumption mode is also quite unique compared to other kitchen scales
- The company has provided splash-proof technology to safeguard it against a little bit of water
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- It doesn’t have any type of sensor to make measurements more accurate
- It is just splash proof and not completely waterproof
- It cannot measure in pounds which can be a big let down for people using the imperial system
4. Hesley HSK Digital Kitchen Scale – Highly Durable Product
HenleyHesley is one of the smallest brands on this list. It is an Indian brand that makes a small number of electronic products that an average young Indian needs on a daily basis. Some of these include electric trimmers, weighing scales, kitchen scales, massage devices, electric thermometers, etc. Like ZAAP, they are also an internet-only brand.
Hesley has designed this product such that it can give tough competition to any other kitchen scale on this list. In fact, it is quite commendable for such a company to go against the top guns. It also has high-quality design elements like a stainless steel platform, LCD display, etc. If that has intrigued you, read the space below to know more about the product Main Features
- Simple yet beautiful design with black accents and a silver platform that complements it perfectly
- It also has the extremely necessary TARE function which gives readings with a maximum error of 1 gram
- The body is made from special grade ABS material which is quite strong and easy to clean whenever we want to. It doesn’t let dust or any other particle to stick to it
- It can measure in 5 different units and inter-convert between them. These five units are grams, kilograms, pounds, ounces, and milliliters
- It has a wide LCD display which displays big letters with white color light on a black background
- The top edge also has a hanging buckle so that you can easily store it on the kitchen walls when needed
- The company also provides a protective film on top of the platform so that stainless Steel cannot get scratched
- The maximum capacity is 5 Kg while the minimum weight it can measure is 1 gram
PROS (What we liked)
- Very sleek looking design and a big LCD display with white light
- Stainless steel platform ensures that the insides don’t get damaged when you place heavy objects on it
- Hanging buckle is a very innovative idea that will let consumers store it with ease
- It also has a Low battery indicator
- Good maximum and minimum weight range
- Can measure and convert any of the 5 prominent units of measurement
- It’s a nice idea to give a protective film for the platform
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- No big feature to make it stand out from the others
- No sensors provided to increase accuracy
5. Sansui Flat Panel Kitchen Scale – Highest Weight Capacity
Sansui is one of the most recognizable electronics brands in India. Although they are past their hay-day, they still have some Nifty products in their line up. The Japanese brand produces almost every type of small and big home appliances you can think of. Some example are TV’s refrigerators, washing machines, ovens, scales, mixers, grinders, etc.
The product we are about to review here is one of the biggest sellers on Amazon and recommend by the e-commerce giant itself. It has a very generic but practical design. However, it isn’t a standout design by any means. We have listed down its more important features in the section below for you to assess if you should buy this. Main Features
- The maximum capacity that the kitchen scale can measure is a whopping 15 kgs, which is almost 3 times higher than any other scale on this list
- The minimum capacity of the scale is 5 grams
- The dimensions of the product are 28*21*2 cm, and the display size is 58*24 mm
- The product weighs 860 grams without any battery cells inside it
- It can measure in kgs, grams, ounces, and pounds
- Instead of the normal ABS material used on the body like in other scales, Sansui has implemented a temperd glass design
- The buttons have touch functionality instead of the push function
- It does come with overload and low battery indicator
- It has a gauge sensor to improve the accuracy of measurement
PROS (What we liked)
- The main advantage of this kitchen scale is that it lets you measure even 15 kgs in a single go
- It has a simple yet practical design
- It is very sleek as it is only 2 cms in thickness
- Gauge sensor will increase its accuracy and is sometimes not found in products of this price range
- Touch functionality is very nice to have
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- Although it can measure big items, it’s minimum weight measurement is only 5 grams
- No backlight for the display, making it tough to view in extreme darkness or brightness
- No aquatronic feature and no way to measure liquids in millilitres
6. MCP Digital Kitchen Scale – Cheapest Product
Just like the previous product, even the one from MCP is made for those who don’t want to spend too much on a kitchen scale and just like the previous product; this is also a generic one. In fact, this is by far the cheapest priced option on this list
This also doesn’t have any special design or spectacular features that make it stand out. However, if you just want a machine that can somewhat accurately measure kitchen ingredients, then this is worth a shot. What makes us say this? That is discussed in the next section Main Features
- It is very compact as it measures 24*16*15 cm.
- It has an auto on\off feature which is quite rare in a product this low priced
- The LCD display is 5*2 cm in size and doesn’t have any type of backlight
- It also has TARE function to measure ingredients in cups
- The company has provided low battery and overload indicators
- Can measure up to 7 kilograms
PROS (What we liked)
- Very low priced and offers good value for money
- Max load is 7 kgs, which is higher than kitchen scales priced 3 or 4 times more than this
- It has all the necessary features like TARE, low battery and overload indicators
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- The design and build quality suggests that it isn’t very durable
- It comes from an almost unknown brand
- Nothing to make it stand out from the others
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the TARE function in kitchen scales?
TARE function is a very simple yet efficient way to measure the quantity of the ingredient you want to weigh without adding the weight of the container in which you have placed the ingredient. It works in a very simple way. The TARE button is represented by a “0” or “reset” symbol on most kitchen scales. Place the container in the platform, and the scale will show you it’s weight. Now, press the TARE button, and the weight will be reset to 0. Pour the ingredients you want to weigh in the container, and you will only see the weight of the ingredients.
2. Does the shape affect the performance of a kitchen scale?
As far as precision and accuracy are concerned, the shape does not affect them. However, the shape does affect the platform size on which you will keep the things to be weighed. So, ensure that to get a more aesthetically pleasing kitchen scale, you don’t compromise on the platform size.
3. How to clean my kitchen scale?
If you have a water-proof kitchen scale, you can clean it thoroughly using a little bit of water and a microfibre cloth. If it isn’t waterproof, just clean it with a cloth and a small amount of cleaner solution. Ensure that you don’t use any corrosive materials to clean as many are made of plastic which can easily get damaged by corrosive materials.
4. How often should I change batteries on my kitchen scale?
If you have a kitchen scale with Li-ion, you cannot replace it yourself. You would need to charge it from time to time. If your kitchen scale comes with cell batteries, you would need to replace them anywhere between 6 months to 2 years depending on your level of usage.
We have now come to the end of an exhaustive article on kitchen scales. We hope that this has solved all your queries on buying kitchen scales in India. Just to recap and summarize, keep in mind all the points in the buyer’s guide that affect you and read the FAQ’s carefully. In terms of product recommendations, buy the one from HealthSense if you want the complete package that does it all within a price range. If you don’t mind spending a bit, go for the ZAAP Eatsmart as it has every feature you would ever need. If you want to buy one with a very large capacity and you plan to cook for many many people, buy the Sansui Flat Panel. Last but not least, if you have a very tight budget and want one just for the sake of it, but the MCP kitchen scale.